4NCL Online Round 4 – Wessex Results, Tables and Game
Having had a good Round 3 two weeks ago the Wessex teams had a pretty terrible Round 4 last night.
Starting with the good news, the A team won again and in style, 3.5 – 0.5. Antonio Matinez-Sykora’s win on board 4 is given at the end of this report.
The OK news is that the F team drew its match, which was a reasonable result.
The bad news is that the remaining six teams, including the newly formed H team, all lost. In the majority of cases Wessex started favourites in the matches, with only the D team being clearly outrated. It was just one of those nights. The B team, which had been on 100%, won a game and drew two but still lost because of a default which carries a half point penalty. The C team came very close to turning the match around but their opponents put up a tenacious defence in the last game to finish, to hold a draw and win the match. And in the G team, Christopher Peacock outplayed his opponent and was winning easily when he suffered what I can only imagine was a mouse slip to allow mate in 1.
Enough said… let’s look forward to Round 5!
Peter Anderson 10/3/21
Just a quick reminder of the format. Each of Divisions 1 – 6 consist of four groups of 8 teams with a 7 round all play all format. Two teams get promoted and two teams relegated from each group. Division 7 consists on one huge Swiss pool, again played over 7 rounds.
With four rounds played we are just over half way though season 7.
- the A team (Div 1) is mid-table and stands an excellent chance of staying in Division 1
- the B team (Div 2) still stands a good chance of being promoted to Division 1 despite last night’s setback.
- the C team (Div 3) is mid-table and can fight for promotion
- the D team (Div 4) is just out of the relegation zone and may need some more points to avoid relagation
- the E team (Div 6) is in the drop zone
- the F team is near the top of Div 7 and fighting for promotion, whilst the G team is near the bottom.