Plenty of local players have been taking part in major tournaments over the last few weeks. Here is a quick round up.
In latter part of July, Larissa Cuthbert (Southbourne) took part in the Under 1700 section of the Czech Open and did rather well. She scored 4.5/9 and turned in an excellent 1694 FIDE rating performance. To give you some idea of the scale of this tournament, there were 170 competitors in Larissa’s section alone! Larissa is pictured below, waiting for one of the rounds to start.
Allan Pleasants (Weymouth) was also on his travels, representing Wales at the Olympiad in Chennai. As you might expect, Allan had some tough opposition, including a GM, 2 IMs, an FM and 2 CMs but still managed a couple of wins and scored 2.5/8
The British Championships tool place between 8th and 21st August. We are aware of the following local players in action:
- Larissa Cuthbert (Southbourne) in the Week 1 U1600 (3/7) and Weekend Soanes U1750 (2.5/5)
- Ronnie Burton (Weymouth) in the Week 1 U1900 (3.5/7)
- Ted Paul (Dorchester) in the Week 1 U1900 (4½/7 =3rd) and Open Rapid (3.5/7)
- Jamie Doyle (Southbourne) in the U16s (4/7) and Open Rapid (2.5/7)
- Kevin Goater (Weymouth) in the Over 50s (3.5/7)
- Florence Spirling (Southbourne) in the Week 1 Blitz (2.5/9) and Weekend U1500 (2.5/5)
- James Forster (Southbourne) in the Weekend Open (2.5/5)
- Mark Littleton (Wimborne) in the Weekend Open (2/5)
- Adrian Cuthbert (Soutbourne) in the Weekend Yates (1.5/5)
- Andrew Footner (Dorchester) in the Over 65s (4.5/7)
- Mike Waddington (Dorchester) in the Championship (2.5/9)
Andrew Footner in Action – Photo by Brendan O’Gorman
Apologies to anyone we have omitted from the British Championship list – we could easily not be aware of someone playing in this. If we have, please let me know here, and I will update the details.